Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Prada & Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

Title: Prada & Prejudice
Author: Mandy Hubbard
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 238
My Rating: 4/5

Callie goes to London for a school trip. She is known as that clumsy girl in class. Hoping to increase some sort of popularity, she decides to go and buy some real Prada heels. Immediately after she puts them on, she trips and blacks out. Next thing she knows, she wakes up in the early 1800s of England! She must find a way to get back to the present, but how?

I was really hyped up to read this novel in the beginning because it looked really cute, and it was. There are many novels that are set during a historical period but rarely do they involve some time-traveling. I always wanted to read a book about the protagonist that gets sent back (or forward) to another era and see how they interact in that world with the current knowledge of today.

I was a little disappointed that Callie badly wanted to get noticed in the beginning. In general, I would like to see female characters being comfortable with themselves rather than striving for popularity, perfection, or whatnot. What I did love about her was that she had a sense of pride and vast knowledge when she was stuck in 1815. Alex, Duke of Harksbury, looked down upon her because she was a girl and she stuck up for herself, refusing to bow down to anything. So you could definitely see a transition of character development for Callie throughout the novel. If I was to see Callie in ten years, she would be studying medicine or working for an organization of women empowerment. She was the type of character that had a lot of future potential but didn't recognize it yet for herself.

Prada & Prejudice is an adorable and light read that female readers can definitely take a liking to! I recommend it for Jane Austen lovers and anyone that likes a bit of a present and history mix.

Review copy provided by Penguin Group (Canada).

post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review!

I started this one awhile back but never got around to finishing it... maybe I definitely should!

wdebo said...

Sounds cute...I want to read it now ^^ Hehe. And I agree with you about wanting strong female characters...it annoys me to see so many female characters that are popularity starved.