Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Lies We Tell Our Kids by Brett Wagner

Title: Lies We Tell Our Kids
Author: Brett Wagner
# of Pages: 96
Age Group: Teen+
My Rating: 3/5
Review Copy?: Yes

[Summary from Amazon]
From acclaimed artist Brett Wagner comes a book about the tall tales that parents tell their kids in the hopes of getting them to do something-eat, sleep, apologize to their sibling, or learn to do something the right way. Fun, heartfelt, and a little bit weird, Lies We Tell Our Kids exposes the not-so-great generational parenting tactic of lying to your child for the greater good! 

Lies We Tell Our Kids is for adults who have a fondness for picture books. The artist created colourful illustrations for different made-up sayings, such as "If you pick your nose, your finger will get stuck up there" and "Eat your veggies or else they'll eat you." I was surprised that some of the illustrations were a bit more "horror"-themed than I expected. Based off the cover of the book and the summary, I thought the drawings were going to be comedic and light-hearted. Some of the illustrations would be considered scary for children. For example, "The finger nail fairy will take your nails if they're not covered at night." This is illustrated with a monster with wings that had removed a nail with a small knife! Of course, like mentioned, this picture book isn't meant for children. However, if you have kids, you might want to read it yourself before allowing them to pick it up depending on their age and personality.

This book has a lot more pages than I expected. I prefer picture books with a lot less as it would be faster to get through. It's overall is a very colourful book. It's definitely for people that like fun, but also horror-related things as well. Would you gift it to kids? Perhaps not.

No comments: