Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Pick Me Up by Adam J. Kurtz


Title: Pick Me Up
Author: Adam J. Kurtz
# of Pages: 256
Age Group: Everyone
My Rating: 4/5
Review Copy?: Yes

[Summary from Amazon] A quirky, creative companion that offers a pick-me-up on every page. 

On the heels of his internationally successful first book, 1 Page at a Time, graphic designer and illustrator Adam J. Kurtz delivers another intimate and engaging journal for anyone who loves to explore ideas, record thoughts and feelings, and capture those fleeting but amazing moments of everyday life. 


Unlike a linear journal, this book can be opened up to any page, encouraging and engaging readers time and time again through continued use. Rather than simply complete tasks and turn pages, users are encouraged to leave their mark, and if they land on the same page days or weeks later, they can review, reflect, and revise their previous response. 


Feeling lonely? Pensive? Peeved? Questioning? This deceptively simple book offers perspective, hope, and a twist of existential metaphor - and is perfect to pick up again and again.


After reviewing Start Where You Are back in spring, I was quite open to reviewing Pick Me Up when I was offered the opportunity. I have had a lot of self-reflection happening for these past couple of years. Due to a lot of personal matters, I started writing in a hard copy journal last year rather than on my personal blog. There's something about putting your pen on paper to express the thoughts and emotions you have at the time rather than typing it out. It's a different feeling, so for those who have done both probably understand what I am talking about.

Pick Me Up is an interactive journal that you can pick up at anytime and flip to a random page to write on. This is made for you to see your personal progress over time by writing down your feelings, achievements, goals, etc. and coming back later on to add or reflect. There are also some inspirational quotes scattered throughout to remind you that it's not all that bad. You can doodle in it and leave a mark whenever you feel like it.

This is a fun book, though I don't find myself filling out every page I land on. Either because in the moment I don't have anything to write down for that specific page or it requires some creativity that's non-existent for me. Either way, this would be a fun holiday gift to give someone who you know like to journal or is thinking of using a new medium for self help. You can buy it on Amazon by clicking here.

No comments: