Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Supernatural: Heart of the Dragon by Keith R.A. Decandido

Title: Supernatural: Heart of the Dragon
Author: Keith R.A. DeCandido
# of Pages: 310
Age Group: Teens +
My Rating: 3/5
Review Copy?: No

[Summary from Amazon] When renegade angel Castiel alerts Sam and Dean to a series of particularly brutal killings in San Francisco's Chinatown, they realise the Heart of the Dragon, an ancient evil of unspeakable power, is back! John Winchester faced the terrifying spirit 20 years ago, and the Campbell family fought it 20 years before that - can the boys succeed where their parents and grandparents failed?

I had this book sitting on my shelf way before I became a Supernatural fan. Then I did not read it until three years after I was no longer a fan. Alas, I now have a review for it. 

This story evolves around Albert Chao who was born half Chinese and half Japanese. Since he wasn't full Chinese, he got ridiculed and dismissed growing up in Chinatown. Angry at the people in his life for mistreating him, he summoned a samurai ancestor to get rid of them. The story flips between the past and present where you get to learn more about Sam and Dean's parents and grandparents.

Overall this was a simple read. I put it down for a period of time but since the plot wasn't complex, I didn't forget what happened when I continued reading. This isn't the most exciting read nor is it complete bore. The book was written well enough for you to finish, but you'd probably forget about it soon after. I'd only recommend this if you are a die-hard Supernatural fan and would like to keep track of the story outside of the show.

No comments: