Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Ultra Maniac by Wataru Yoshizumi

Title: Ultra Maniac
Mangaka: Wataru Yoshizumi
Age Group: Youth
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 5
My Rating: 3/5

Ayu is a pretty seventh grader with a crush on the most popular boy in her grade, Tetsushi. It is her goal to become cooler so he can notice her. She becomes friends with Nina, the new transfer student. At first Ayu thinks she is really weird. But not as weird until Nina tells her she is a witch!

Apparently Nina is terrible at magic so she became a dropout back in her world. Now she is studying abroad on Earth. She tries to help Ayu with her love problems by casting a couple of spells. Unfortunately, magic can get a little out of control!

Later on, Nina and Ayu become very close. Then someone starts threatening Nina to go back to the Magic Kingdom! Who could possibly know about her being a witch??

Love, magic, and friendship, Ultra Maniac is a great story for young girls who are looking for a way to be exposed to the world of manga!

In the first volume, I did not like Ultra Maniac. It's because Ayu is all about being cool. I think it is childish and since I am no longer in elementary, I dislike the fact that kids nowadays are trying to be all grown-up. Isn't being young all about having fun? Not trying to get someone to like you? Romance in seventh grade is a definite no-no for me. Way too young to start thinking about that kind of stuff. I think the lovey-dovey content would been more suitable if the characters were in high school. It was by the third volume that I did not mind it so much anymore.

Otherwise, it is a good read for the younger audience. I was able to finish the series without disliking it completely. It is definitely something a preteen girl can enjoy.

post signature

2 comments:

The Book Resort said...

You ROCK!!! Being a kid/teen is all about F~U~N!!! You have your whole life to be an adult. Treasure the moments.

Unless you are Peter Pan kick back & relax!

I'm iffy on the cover though.

Diana Dang said...

Lol! You rock too! =)