Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Author Interview: Jennifer Laurens

This Monday I reviewed a great novel that evolves around autism and cute angel guys called Heavenly. Today I give you an interview with its creator, Jennifer Laurens!

If you would like to learn more about Jennifer and Heavenly, visit: www.heavenlythebook.com.

Firstly, what inspired you to write Heavenly?

I've always been fascinated with the idea of angels and life after death. I think life after death is something mankind ponders at some point in life, especially as we age and experience challenges and trials that test us. We are left to ask: Why? When my third daughter was diagnosed with autism at three years of age, I went through a myriad of emotions namely: anger, hurt and disappointment not to mention the huge list of questions her condition left me with. All you have to do is read any book about autism ( including Heavenly ) to see that autism is extremely challenging and hard to live with. I watched each of my children deal differently with her handicap, hence Zoe and Luke's characters were born.

I recently found out that Heavenly is the first in a trilogy. Did you plan on having it as three volumes from the start?

No. As the story developed and I fell more deeply in love with the characters and their complex lives, I wanted to explore what was already in my head ( by way of background ) on paper.

What can readers expect in the second instalment, Penitence?

Have you watched the trailer? ( some suggested spoilers in there, look it up on my facebook or youtube ) Zoe continues life. She sees both evil and good and her friends and loved ones make life changing choices that affect everyone. And, she has to come to terms with loving TWO guys.

In general, what is the hardest part in a writing a story for you? And the easiest?

The hardest part is having enough time. I could write and do nothing else. Literally! I love it that much. The easiest part is coming up with ideas.

Do you roughly plan your stories from start to finish ahead of time or do you let it come to you naturally as you write?

I let the characters drive the story, that keeps me as well as the characters happy and I steer free of cliches. When you said in your review you 'expected' a bigger climax, I smiled. I purposely avoid cliched expectations.

Do you have any current projects you are working on at the moment?

Book three: Absolution. I really need to go far away from home to write it. Summer, with kids at home, is not conducive to creativity.

What kind of genres/topics do you hope to explore in the near future and use for your stories?

I have a pipeline of stories already filled. I'm adapting one of my adult stories to YA, and releasing one of my other YA stories under the Jennifer Laurens name: A Season of Eden - the story of a teenage girl who falls in love with her music teacher.

Lastly, give us an interesting fact about yourself that not a lot of people know of!

I used to work in the entertainment business. I was on TV shows like Dynasty, Dallas and Love Boat and got to meet lots of celebrities.

post signature

1 comment:

The Book Resort said...

Jennifer is beautiful! Great review, Diana, as always!