Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Greek: Double Date by Marsha Warner

Title: Greek: Double Date
Author: Marsha Warner
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 192
My Rating: 4/5

Casey Cartwright can't wait to go to the all-Greek formal! However, she promised her brother, Rusty, to go as geeky Dale's date to the Honors Engineering Award...which is on the same day as the formal! But a promise is a promise.

When new transfer student, Rob, becomes her date for formal, things get difficult as frenemy Rebecca seems to have some sort of grudge against him. Not to mention Casey still has to get over her ex-boyfriend, Cappie.

What to do when a girl has two dates in one night?

Surprisingly, I liked this novel a bit more than I expected. I generally avoid reading books that are adaptations of TV shows. I always thought that they lacked that quality since making a book series based off a show is purely a marketing strategy.

In the beginning, it took awhile for me to get use to the characters because there were so many! I thought I would never get them down because I assumed they would all be generic. After a few chapters, I got the hang of it as their personality or relationship with the protagonist is revealed, making it easier for me to figure out who was who.

In terms of personality, the characters weren't exactly drawn out to be in-depth. What made me like the novel though was the relationships that they had with each other, especially in Casey's situation. The side characters weren't exactly focused upon so I did find it pointless to have them there since they didn't interact with the protagonist so much.

I doubt I would pick up another volume in the series but I found it to be a good read while it lasted. It's not easy to get into in the beginning, but after awhile it's not so bad. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone, but fans of the show should check it out. It's better to borrow a copy from the library rather than investing in it.

Review copy provided by HarlequinTeen.

post signature

2 comments:

♫♥✿Chas @ LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ said...

I did not know they had anything written like this!=) I love Greek on TV!!=) Thanks for reviewing!!

Sara said...

I had to stop and read your review when I saw Cappie - I love his character! I don't think I would read these books, but the show is lots of fun!