Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Stringz by Michael Wenberg

Title: Stringz
Author: Michael Wenberg
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 216
My Rating: 3/5

Jace Adams has been constantly moving around because of his mother. This time, he is settled into Seattle where they both will be staying with Aunt Bernice. But not so long after, Jace's mother runs off with a new man and leaves Jace behind. This hurts him deeply but what else can he do?

Jace decides to play the cello on the sidewalk to earn some extra money. On one occasion, he receives a one-hundred dollar bill with a business card attached. Given a chance to work with a famous cello instructor, Jace has the opportunity to enter a cello competition and win a scholarship. Will he be able to do it?

I like the idea of an underprivileged teen that has a passion for music. Jace doesn't slip into gangs or drugs (considering his circumstances) and I'm proud to see that he stands strong in what he believes in. I wish, however, that the novel left a bigger impact on me than it did. It was a great story idea, but I felt that more could have been added in order to make it even more memorable. If it was longer, there would be more room for it to expand and enabled the storyline and characters to develop.

I recommend Stringz to those who would like to read something motivational.

Review copy provided by Book Divas.

post signature

No comments: