Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Coraline by Neil Gaiman & P. Craig Russell

Title: Coraline
Author: Written by Neil Gaiman & Adapted by P. Craig Russell
Age Group: Tweens +
# of Pages: 186
My Rating: 4.5/5

Young Coraline has recently moved into a new home out in the country. With nothing to do during the last week of summer, she goes around exploring the grounds and hoping to find something exciting. In one of the rooms of her house, there is a door that is covered up with bricks with nothing on the other side. Or so she thought...

One day, Coraline decides to unlock the door and the brick wall has disappeared. Curious as a cat, she walks through the dark tunnel, wondering what she will find. It leads her back to her own home. Actually, her "other" home. There she has her other parents who have black buttons as their eyes. They give her much more than her real parents. Her other mother says she loves her very much and wants her to stay there to be a family.

But Coraline knows that she is evil. She tries to leave but her real parents ended up being kidnapped. She must play a dangerous game to save herself and her family or else she will be trapped in this alternate world... forever.

I have never read the book but I am sure that it is even more amazing compared to the graphic novel! Coraline is quite a dark story, considering that it is written for a younger audience. Never have I seen a young protagonist so clever and sly. She was calm when she was in front of the evil mother, making me wonder if I could be like that if I was in her situation! Neil Gaiman is a genius at weaving a tale of the strange and mysterious. This is definitely a recommended read for all ages! You will see why it has been turned into a movie. For fans of the Corpse Bride, you will definitely be pleased with Coraline.

post signature

2 comments:

Sadako said...

Yay! Really liked the Corpse Bride, will check out this one.

Diana Dang said...

I love Corpse Bride too! =)