Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Zombie Queen of Newbury High by Amanda Ashby

Title: Zombie Queen of Newbury High
Author: Amanda Ashby
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 199
My Rating: 4/5

What to do when your hot prom date might get stolen away by a pretty, stuck-up cheerleader?

Well, Mia Everett is definitely in trouble if she doesn't do something soon because this is the exact situation she is in. So her best friend, Candice, drags her to a shady part of town to an equally shady store. An old hag named Algeria sells Mia a love spell for a hundred bucks. Of course Mia doubted that it would work because, seriously, a love spell? But blinded by dashingly handsome Rob, she can not help but do stupid things.

So during the school ceremony, she does the spell in the gym. After doing so, Rob approaches her with a really nice attitude and even offers her sweets. But then strange, quiet Chase Miller tells her in reality that she has infected the whole school with Viral Zombaticus. Meaning, she has turned everyone into zombies! And now they are fattening her up as their zombie queen so she could be eaten! What is a girl to do when prom is days away and everyone attending is planning to have her as their appetizer??

When I first saw the book, I never expected it to be so thin. I am so used to YA novels being around 300 pages. But, I did finished it in a day. Which is good in a sense because it let me review it much sooner. Since it had a lower word count compared to others, everything went by too quickly for me. I found that there were a few things that I wanted to know but was never revealed. It would have been much nicer if an additional fifty pages was added on so there could be more meat.

Another thing I did not expect was the story to be in third person. When I cracked it open, I immediately assumed I was going to read it through Mia's point of view. It caught me a bit off-guard when it was not so. Also, I was thinking that there would be actual flesh-eating zombies, like the ones you see in Resident Evil. I was expecting a lot of action but with a comedy twist like Shaun of the Dead. To my disappointment, these zombies just inches near that stage but no where close to being complete rotties.

Zombie Queen of Newbury High is a fun and fast-paced read. There are a few times where I got some good chuckles from it. Don't expect a deep story with characters that has complex layers. But check it out if you want to have a good laugh revolving around the oh-so-getting-popular zombie species.

post signature

2 comments:

wdebo said...

Oh that sounds so good, I am going to put it on hold now!! :D

Diana Dang said...

Haha, it's very enjoyable! =)