Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Short and Simple (4)

Title: Rosario + Vampire
Mangaka: Akihisa Ikeda
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Completed with 10 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 3
My Rating: 4/5

Sentence Summary: An old enemy comes back; a troll wants to test Tsukune's strength; and the math teacher seems to be doing a little more than tutoring her students!

Speaking Straightly: I'm starting to slowly dislike Tsukune at this point. He is just weak; I get so annoyed with the cheesy parts where he jumps in and tries to save everyone and all when he clearly isn't going to win. However, I really love him when he transforms. Yes, he transforms in this volume and I find this part to be the coolest of all. Too bad his character usually isn't so great.

The stories weren't as good as the last two volumes but still readable.

~~~

Title: A Streetcar Named Desire
Author: Tennessee Williams
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 142
My Rating: 4/5

Sentence Summary: Blanche DuBois arrives to stay with her sister, Stella, and her husband, Stanley, for unknown circumstances back home.

Speaking Straightly: I've watched the Hollywood version in English class, which I received the play afterwards to read.

I enjoyed the movie itself because of the overly-done acting and Marlon Brando's attractive, manlier, and younger self. Which made the read to be good too since I already knew what happened before.

The Streetcar Named Desire reveals the darker side of human nature and the consequences of past actions. A quick read that could be enjoyed. (However I think watching the movie makes the play better).

~~~

Title: All Families Are Psychotic
Author: Douglas Coupland
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 288
My Rating: 4/5

Sentence Summary: A crazy life of the dysfunctional Drummond family.

Speaking Straightly: If you want to read a wacky novel, this book is it. At first I liked it because it is very different compared to most adult novels. But after awhile as the story progressed, it just got too weird for me. It is unrealistic in terms of the things that happened to the characters. However, internal conflicts could easily be related to.
post signature

1 comment:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

I've never seen a streetcar named desire, i think you've convinced me to watch it!! :)