Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Title: Twilight
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Age Group: Young Adults
# of Pages: 498
My Rating: 2/5

You see the guy or girl of your dreams with his beautiful features and your heart flutters every time he or she glances over. Except, would you still be in love if you knew he could take away your life away any second because... he's or she's a vampire?

Bella Swan is a clumsy seventeen years old girl that just recently moved to the small town of Forks from the sunny Phoenix. She hates it. She wants to stay with her mother and her boyfriend but instead, she ends up moving in with her father, Charlie.

On the first day of school, she sees a group of beautiful teens around her age. One person in the group catches her eye in particular. His name is Edward. He is repulsed by her in the beginning but she desperately wants his attention each time.

Fast-forwarding later on, she finds out that he is a vampire. They are slowly falling in love at that time so she does not care for who he really is. Later on in the story, there is some complications that nearly resulted Bella's death.

To be honest, this book disappoint me. The whole frenzy of Twilight made me believe there is much more to the book. The characters themselves lack development and depth. They are very Mary-Sues and Gary-Stus in my opinion. I get very annoyed at every page that Bella has to describe Edward's body parts or action. He is a hottie, I get it. Just don't overdo it, please. The story itself is something that I would usually roleplay on chat sites for fun. It is a bit predictable and I wish Mrs. Meyer could've add more of a plot to it. The "climax" happens at the last 8 chapters or so. If the author threw in a bit more action instead of having Bella cooped up in a hotel room all day, it would have boost my rating.

But I can understand why people like it. The writing is simple and easy to follow but descriptive at the same time. You can skim through the book and not have to think so much into it. If you are someone who like to read without hurting your brain, trying to figure out what's going on and vampires, this is a read for you. Don't go into it if you expect a lot of plot and action with everything detailed out.

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree. good thing i didn't buy/read the book. i just downloaded the audiobook.

Diana Dang said...

That's good, I would've been so mad to waste my money on it.