Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Snow Empress by Laura Joh Rowland

Title: The Snow Empress
Author: Laura Joh Rowland
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 310
My Rating: 5/5

In the late 17th century of Japan, the beautiful mistress of Lord Masume is murdered. Shot by an arrow out in the forest, her corpse brought many tragedies as Lord Masume is no longer sane due to her death.

Sano Ichiro is a samurai detective living in the city of Edo. His young son disappears while they were celebrating the moon-watching festival. In a frantic search, it leads him and his wife, Reiko, to Ezogashima (also known as Hokkaido) where Lord Masume resides.

Sano and Reiko soon discover that the death of Tekare, the mistress, branches out to more than just a simple murder. And her haunting spirit possesses Lord Masume. Mysteries surround the people of Ezogashima with secrets that may change everything. Sano must get to the bottom of this before it is too late to save his son.

What drew me to the book was the simple, but elegant cover. I adore oriental-styled things, hence the name for my domain. The summary sounded quite intriguing so I decided to borrow it. I was quite impressed.

This action-packed Eastern story was written with a vivid imagination. The scene will unfold in front of you if you read it word for word like you are watching a movie. There are a things you may not understand due to historical references and Japanese terms but it does not get in the way of reading it. I think that it should become a movie for sure. If you watch a lot of historical Hong Kong historical dramas, I think you would definitely enjoy this! But everyone should try and have a taste of the past in Japan on the pages of The Snow Empress.

post signature

No comments: