Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Genghis Khan: To the Ends of the Earth and Sea by Nakaba Higurashi and Seiichi Morimura

Title: Genghis Khan: To the Ends of the Earth and Sea
Mangaka: Nakaba Higurashi & Seiichi Morimura
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Completed with 1 volume
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 3/5

History is a fascinating subject. Society is based off of what had happened in the past and what humans have learned over the courses of many years. There are also those who were great leaders that made a huge impact during a certain era of time.

Temujin grew up in a tribe within Mongolia. Since he was a young boy, he always had the fire in his eyes and his father knew that he was going to be a strong man that would lead their people. In this stand-alone manga, you follow the life of the historical figure Genghis Khan.

This is the kind of manga where you would have to sit down and read it properly. Otherwise, you would easily get confused. Not only do the characters all look similar but their names are so difficult to remember. You would have to flip back and forth a couple of times to know who is who in the story. But once you are in the right mood to read the manga, it's not that bad.

I don't think the manga provides enough history for one to understand why Genghis Khan was so great to those who have heard of him for the first time. The manga only covered a couple of key events in his life and they are more or so personal with his friend/enemy, Jamuqa. I think it would be more interesting to those who know about Genghis Khan and would like to see a manga version of him.

For sure, Genghis Khan: To the Ends of the Earth and Sea it is not something that will appeal to the majority of the manga-reading audience. But for those who know a bit about the history, it should be checked out.

Review copy provided by
CMX.

post signature

No comments: