Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

Title: Spider's Bite
Author: Jennifer Estep
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 432
My Rating: 3.5/5

Gin Blanco is an assassin who will get the job done without fail. Her nickname is the Spider and the people who know of her, fear her.

She is given a task where she has to assassinate a target. Same old work, right? However, things turn out very wrong when the people who hired her tries to kill her instead. They end up murdering her handler, who is like a father to her. Now she will stop at nothing to get her revenge. She ends up teaming up with gorgeous Detective Donavon Caine who wants nothing less than her dead. What will become of the Spider?

The first thing that became apparent when I started reading the book was Gin is a pretty cocky character. She thinks she is so hot and that she is the best thing out there. I don't mind characters that are confident in themselves but the way Gin did it, I wasn't so pleased about it. I got a hang of her, however, over time.

For the story, it wasn't exactly the best but it wasn't the worst either. There were times where you could put the book down and while in others, it could grab your attention here and there. There was only one sex scene but it only lasted maybe a couple pages. I haven't read any other assassin stories so I can not compare this novel to any other series. I didn't feel that it was 5/5 though. However, I think it would better if it was written in third person. I did not like how Gin described herself throughout the book. If I was to have read her description in third person, it would be so much better.
I recommend this series to urban fantasy lovers; but maybe preview or borrow it before buying.

Won copy from SciFiGuy.ca.

post signature

1 comment:

Dazzling Mage said...

I have this on my shelf, and have yet to read it. A little wary now. Thanks for the honest review!