Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Arisa by Natsumi Ando

Title: Arisa
Mangaka: Natsumi Ando
Age Group: Teens
Series is: Ongoing with 5 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 4.5/5

Tsubasa hasn't seen her twin sister, Arisa, for years. She is excited to finally meet her again after so long. They always kept in contact through letters and Tsubasa is kind of jealous to know that her sister has such a perfect life.

However, things turn out for the worst when Tsubasa realizes that Arisa has been hiding a secret after she attempted suicide. What is secret and how can Tsubasa get to the bottom of this?

One of the first manga series I have collected because I enjoyed was one of Ando's older series, Zodiac P.I., about six to seven years ago. I remember it grabbed my attention and it was something that kids around ten years old would wholeheartedly enjoy without the intense drama and gore. Fast-forwarding to now, I received a surprise volume of Arisa to review. Although it has been so long since I have read Ando's works, they still left an impact on me throughout my manga years. (I honestly don't count Kitchen Princess as one of her works because she is simply the artist rather than the storyteller. That series is meh to me). And I am glad to say, I love Arisa thus far!

This series relate to the school that Arisa goes to. Compared to regular bullying or anything along those lines, it is much more different. The entire class have this cult feel to them because they worship a mysterious person named "the King", who apparently can grant any wishes that are texted to his or her number. It is a little creepy but exciting at the same time. The idea is completely original and I was captivated throughout the first volume. The mangaka knows how to grab the reader's attention and hold it until the very end.

I really enjoy this manga and it has rekindled my love for Natsumi Ando's mangas. I highly recommend Arisa if you are into thriller/crime shojo manga.

Review copy provided by Del Rey.

post signature

1 comment:

Miriam said...

This manga is amazing! I got up to chapter 8 on manga fox but then because it got licensed I was unable to carry on reading. Hope it comes out here soon.