Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Julian Game by Adele Griffin

Title: The Julian Game
Author: Adele Griffin
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 208
My Rating: 2/5

When Raye is asked by the popular girl Ella to help her get revenge on her ex-boyfriend, she agrees. Raye uses a fake profile online of a blue-haired girl named "Elizabeth", in order to ensnare Julian. What she doesn't expect is falling for him during this little game. However, Ella finds out and promises to make Raye's life miserable. How will Raye get out of this mess?

I think The Julian Game has a very striking cover, which led me to read it. I didn't have any prior thoughts before I cracked it open. Though it did not take me long before I started to dislike it.

I don't know what is wrong with Raye, but for some reason she compels to obey Ella, even when she is a complete bitch. Ella is nothing but a bully with a pretty face. I wanted to slap Raye when her reasoning for listening to Ella was because she was beautiful. I don't know why anyone would want to kiss up to someone who tries to ruin people's lives. It bothered me so much.

There were some situations that happened so quickly in the book that I didn't even know go by. There were not enough details or depth to flesh out the story. I didn't feel connected to the characters nor the situations. To me, the book felt like a broken record. You understand the overall concept but you don't completely understand it at the same time.

Review copy provided by Penguin Canada.
post signature

No comments: