Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Kamisama Kiss by Julietta Suzuki

Title: Kamisama Kiss
Mangaka: Julietta Suzuki
Age Group: Teens
Series is: Ongoing with 8 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 5/5

Nanami's father leaves her homeless so he can run away from his gambling debts. With her house evicted, Nanami has nowhere to go because she has no other family. In one fortunate encounter, she meets a dog-scared man named Mikage, who willing gives her his house. She decides to check it out...only to find that it is actually a shrine with demons!

Apparently, Mikage has made her the deity of the shrine so she must take on his responsibilities. Now living a life completely out of the norm, how is Nanami going to survive?

I read this manga series online a few months ago and was in love with it. I was so happy when I heard it got licensed by Viz because it can finally be read in North America.

Even though in the beginning Nanami accepted the idea of demons existing right away was a little unrealistic, it was done so swiftly that you don't even notice. I found Tomoe (Nanami's familiar who is a fox yokai) to be very androgynous at first. Which to me made a very interesting love interest for Nanami. I would love to see their relationship grow further down along the road because of conflict in personalities.

Kamisama Kiss is a read that manga fans will love. It's adorable and will still give you the same pleasure if you read it again and again. It has that fun atmosphere as well as the serious ones where the protagonist is in danger. I look forward to pick up the next volume in the series!

On the side note, I want to complain about whoever wrote the English summary for the first volume. Towards the end of the summary, it mentioned how Tomoe is "pretty hot". I find this completely irrelevant because Nanami is not drawn to Tomoe in that sense at all. Having that in the summary implies that the protagonist sees him as a good looking guy in the beginning but I know for a fact that she is not drawn to him till much later on. The inaccuracy of the synopsis annoys me because this happened to another series I reviewed by Viz before, which is Flower in a Storm. I think before writing a summary, one should read the book or manga first or it would give the reader the wrong initial impression of the book.

Review copy provided by Viz.
post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

where did you read it online?

Anonymous said...

where did u read it online ... imm dying to read it

Diana Dang said...

I read it before online on Mangafox. But after it got licensed, all the chapters were taken down unfortunately.