Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

X-Men Misfits by Raina Telgemeier, Dave Roman, & ANZU

Title: X-Men Misfits
Mangaka: Raina Telgemeier, Dave Roman (Story) & ANZU (Art)
Age Group: Teens
Series is: Ongoing with 2 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 3/5

Kitty isn't like any other kid. Really. How? She can walk through walls!

Thinking that she will never fit in, a man arrives at her home to let her know that he is giving her a scholarship to attend a private school for the gifted. A chance for a change, she agrees.

Discovering that she is the only female at this odd and new school, Kitty is surrounded by a harem of beautiful males! She immediately gets fawned over with attention from left to right. Not to mention, she gets a cute boyfriend who can control fire! Oh life at her new school is great.

But, Kitty realizes that her new cool friends are not as cool as they seem. With their reactions towards humans, can Kitty truly call them friends? And her eyes keep venturing towards the cold-hearted Iceman, Bobby, even though she is with John...

"Different" girl + Boys with magical powers = another typical harem manga. So yes, plenty of eye candy of guys in this new series but I am not fond of the artwork. I have looked up the artist, ANZU, and her style is pretty nice but when it came to this manga, it just didn't work. It felt somewhat rushed, compared to her usual art pieces. The lines were thin and somewhat awkward upon the characters, unlike to her personal comic, Thirst of Angels, which was neat and nicely inked.

The story was a little "Ehhh". I thought it could have been better in terms of an X-Men twist (this is when Professor Xavier was not yet in a wheelchair). I found the relationship between Kitty and her boyfriend to be dumb. They came together too quickly and it appeared to be more of lust than love. Which was something I am sure that was meant to be portrayed but I still didn't like it. The plot didn't have anything to look forward to except for some pretty characters. The only character I liked was a mutant named Kurt, who was like part lizard or something, but was unfortunately had limited appearances.

X-Men Misfits so far only has nice looking male characters with powers and a girl stuck in the middle of it all with no concrete story. It is hard to pinpoint what will build up in the continuing volumes. It is a manga I do not recommend going out to buy but not bad to read if you have some time to spare.

Review copy provided by
Del Rey.

post signature

1 comment:

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.