Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Spooktacular Suggestions for a Seasonal Scare

Happy Halloween! Due to my lack of reviews //coughcough//, I decided to put together a list of Halloween-y recommendations for you guys (on Halloween)! Originally it was supposed to be 5 recommendations in each of the three categories: YA novel, manga, and film. But it was way too much (trust me, try it yourself and you'll see) so I decided to just do one of each then. So check out below my random picks on what you can read or watch tonight!

YA Novel

Title: Zombie Blondes
Author:
Brian James
Description:
From the moment Hannah Sanders arrived in town, she felt there was something wrong. A lot of houses were for sale, and the town seemed infected by an unearthly quiet. And then, on Hannah’s first day of classes, she ran into a group of cheerleaders—the most popular girls in school.

The odd thing was that they were nearly identical in appearance: blonde, beautiful, and deathly pale.


But Hannah wants desperately to fit in—regardless of what her friend Lukas is telling her: If she doesn’t watch her back, she’s going to be blonde and popular and dead—just like all the other zombies in this town. . . .


Diana's Comment:
This is the first and last YA novel that I have read in the bookstore because I was so desperate to read it! (Only had the hardcover at the time and no money). I read this before actually creating this blog so I do not have a review for it but I give it a 5/5! Totally spooky and totally unique, zombie fans should definitely check this out! Brian James was fantastic at making a story through a girl's perspective because he nailed all of the emotions and thoughts amazingly!

Manga

Title: Dragon Head
Mangaka:
Minetaro Mochizuki
Description:
A typical school field trip going back to Tokyo from Kyoto via the bullet train Shinkansen is suddenly interrupted by a blinding light and a powerful explosion. Hours later, Aoki Teru, wakes up in total darkness only to find that everyone except him are dead. Now, trapped in a tunnel with both ends burried under a pile rocks, he must find the remaining survivors and get out of there. But what awaits him outside may not be what he wants to see.

Diana's Comment: Read my very old review of it here. This stuff will keep you hooked and freaked out 100%!



Movie

Title: The Ring
Release Year: 2002
Description:
A mysterious video tape is killing off anyone who watches it. Whenever the victim watches it, the phone rings, telling them they have only one week to live. A young reporter named Rachel is investigating these events, but after she and her small son watch the tape, it becomes a race against time to find out why the tape is killing everyone and how it could be stopped.

Diana's Comment:
This movie scared me, even until today. After I watched it when I was around 10 years old, I couldn't sleep for that entire night. I was honestly so scared out of my mind that every shadow made me think it was Sadako coming out to get me. If you guys really need a scare for Halloween, The Ring is your movie.


So do you guys have any Halloween recommendations you would like to share with others? Or what is your take for any of my recommendation above? Feel free to comment below!

post signature

1 comment:

Dani. said...

Hahahaha. I watched the Ring when I was 8, and couldn't sleep until seven days past. (You will die in seven days) :)