Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Candor by Pam Bachorz

Title: Candor
Author: Pan Bachorz
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 256
My Rating: 2.5/5

In the town of Candor, everything is just perfect. The teens are especially well-behaved. They are always home by curfew time, they have no bad habits, and have a perfect GPA record. However, they are only this perfect because they are secretly brainwashed by the music in town. Oscar is the son of the town's founder and is the only one able to get the teens out if they are willing to pay the price. When pretty and rebellious Nia arrives, he falls head over heels for her. Can he help her escape?

This book was not for me. I was hoping for a story where the protagonist will help get rid of this dire situation. I think brainwashing people to be perfect citizens is stupid. The lack of willpower and being forced to be something you are not is something I am really against. No one in the world will be perfect. The term "perfect" could mean anything. But trying to "perfect" teens so they can become model citizens is not the right way to do it. I wanted Oscar to take care of this problem in story. However, it was solely focused upon him and Nia.

I was not happy with the fact that Oscar kept claiming Nia as "my girl". It's a personal preference but I hate it when guys refer to their girlfriends like they are property. Throughout the novel, it felt like he was somewhat treating her as his own object. I do give him credit for that fact that he really likes her and truly wants to get her out of Candor. But in all honesty, I didn't too care much for Oscar. I couldn't connect to his character so much.

What I kept questioning was how did Oscar's father be able to get brainwashing music? There was nothing that indicated that he was a scientist, nor did he get help from anyone to create this music. I found it to be a huge loophole that just hung in your face. Also, if you don't listen to it constantly after being exposed to it for so long, you will die. I found that to be a little drastic because there wasn't any scientific explanation to back it up. So for the sci-fi part of the story, I was very unconvinced, which was also why I didn't like Candor so much.

Do I recommend Candor? Well, I say you should borrow it first and read it before buying. It is just not the novel for me, but many have liked it.

Won copy from Pam Bachorz.

post signature

No comments: