Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Author Interview: Stephanie Kuehnert

Known for her emotional and raw stories, Stephanie Kuehnert, author of I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone and Ballads of Suburbia, have stopped by for a quick interview!

She is extremely talented and I definitely recommend that you pick up one of her books to read! If you would like, feel free to visit her site to learn more about her at: http://www.stephaniekuehnert.com/.

Music plays a huge role in your life and you incorporate it into all of your novels. Do you have any bands or singers that had a huge impact on you at any point in your life?

I have quite a few. Kurt Cobain/Nirvana being the first. I discovered his music when I was a misfit 12 year old and it gave me a voice. It inspired me to write, to find my own voice because if Kurt could be heard by the masses maybe someday so could I. Courtney Love/Hole was really empowering to me as a teenage girl. Rancid and Social Distortion were also huge for me as a teenager. I strayed away from punk for awhile and the band that brought me back was The Distillers so they had a huge influence. Currently Civet, Rise Against, and Gaslight Anthem are having the biggest influence on me and my writing.

Is there a chance where one of your future novels will not include music?

I suppose anything is possible, but right now every idea I have involves music in some way. I can't imagine life without music, so I guess I have a hard time imagining fictional stories without it.

Have you thought about possibly expanding your writing genre from contemporary realism to lets say, paranormal?

Yes, in fact I'm working on something right now that has paranormal elements, more of an urban fantasy feel, based in mythology. I've always loved mythology so it's fun to explore that. However, I will always write contemporary realistic fiction too. I'd like to do both. Paranormal is a new challenge, but I love contemporary realistic. I probably read 50/50 between contemporary and genre fiction so why not write that way too!

Do you have any authors that you were influenced by?

Tons. My earliest influence was Laura Ingalls Wilder. I also love John Steinbeck, Irvine Welsh, Joe Meno, and my biggest YA influence is probably Francesca Lia Block (see why I need to write with some magical element!)

What is the most difficult aspect in writing for you? And the easiest?

That's hard because it varies from book to book. Usually the hardest part is nailing down the first draft, hammering out the structure and the plot. Outlining. I hate outlining but I need to do it. Revising is usually easier for me. I get into a good groove. The groundwork is laid and I'm ready to flesh things out. But sometimes, like with Ballads, revising is hard too.

Do you have any novels you are working on at the moment or will be releasing soon? If so, can you please give us a brief summary about them?

I'm working on a couple things. They are both in such early stages that I don't want to jinx them or really feel comfortable saying much because who knows what direction they'll take. I have one book under consideration by my editor now that is about a girl whose bartender/alcoholic mom dragged her around the country for most of her life and at 17, the girl finally puts her foot down and says she wants to stay where they are. It's about them trying to figure out how to make a functional life for themselves and the other quirky characters in the book and trying to grow up because the mom is emotionally still a teenager herself.

The second is the mythology-based story that I mentioned above. Keeping that tightly under wraps for now.

Lastly, give us an interesting fact about yourself that not many know of!

These questions are always hard for me because I feel like I'm an over-sharer and tell everyone everything about myself. Hmm okay, well I talk about my tattoos quite a bit, but not my piercings. I have 10 holes in my left ear and 3 in my right, adding up to my lucky 13 (my wedding date was also 10/3 to add up to my lucky 13). I've always wanted to get a lip ring or maybe an eyebrow ring, but haven't. Is 30 too old for a lip ring?

post signature

5 comments:

Liviania said...

I've never been one for lip or eyebrow rings. For facial piercings, I really only like a Monroe done with a small diamond.

Unknown said...

Hi :)
Thank you for the great interview with Stephanie Kuehnert. Thank you Stephanie for sharing. I really enjoyed learning more about you & your writing. I look forward to your current projects being published. Mythology based UF sounds intriguing.
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I loved Ballad of Suburbia. She is a excellent author and great interview!

Thao said...

Awesome interview. I love Stephanie and her books too. Looking forward to her next story ^^

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.