Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Q4U: What is your book pet peeve?

Q4U (Question 4 U) is a random meme hosted at Stop, Drop, and Read! that appears on random days. A question is asked, where it could range from getting feedbacks for the blog to a start of a fun topic!

In replacement of my non-existent IMM post due to my broken doorbell, I thought I should at least post something. So today's question is...

What is your book pet peeve?

This can be physical as having your books bent to the storyline where you hate a certain overused plot.

One kind of overused plot that bothers me a lot lately is that plain Jane protagonist running into a hot, mysterious guy to whom she is drawn to for no good reason in the beginning. It was cool when it first came out, but after awhile, it's just no. I mean, have you ever seen vice versa? Now I want to read about an average Joe and some sexy female...

I also hate it when the side of the paperback cover starts ruining because of sweaty hands. So now when I read, I just pressed on the pages rather than holding it when my hands for some reason are profusely sweating.

What are your pet peeves?

post signature

13 comments:

Katie said...

I have so many book pet peeves. I hate dog-eared corners, bent spines, people who spill on borrowed books. Things like that. And I agree with you about the plain Jane plot. I just can't get into it anymore. =]

susan said...

Pet peeve: lazy, bad writing.

My daughter hates when a write takes too long to get the conflict.

Me: girls pining after boys as if girls can't have a life or happiness without boy gorgeous.

girls who need rescuing.

Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

I hate when it looks like my books have been read. I like them to look brand new forever! I also don't like mass market paperbacks. To me, the size is a little awkward. They're too small. :P

I hate journeys, it's why I don't read fantasy any more. I don't really need to know what happened every single day of their trip, especially when it's boring or unimportant. But then, I also hate it when they skip over thr trip completely.
Oh, and appearance obsessed characters. Whether they're going on about how they look or how "hot" some other character is. It's just annoying, and usually drags on much longer than it should. >_<

Diana Dang said...

@katie: I hate dog-eared corners too, but only when its on my own books. I generally don't mind them on library books. xD

@susan: Oh yes! When it take ages to reach to the actual problem is so frustrating!

There are way too many damsels in distress nowadays. xD

@Dahlia: Sometimes I like my books to look read. xD Only sometimes. o-o

Hm, I haven't read any of those hero quests where I completely died in. The ones that I did read where actually pretty good! But yea, I'm not really into journeys that much either.

Donna (Bites) said...

My pet peeve, at the moment, vampires. I love me my vampires but as of late, apparently they have nothing better to do with their immortality than go to high school and stalk the jailbait. Please.

Lackluster writing is also a pet peeve of mine. It's like some of these authors just cranked out the book in order to ride a particular wave and, honestly, it shows.

Diana Dang said...

I know, I have been avoiding vampire novels a lot lately. One of the many titles I wasn't planning on ever picking up was The Vampire Academy. Then the next thing I knew I was given a copy to review. >< But it was pretty good, thank god.

Anonymous said...

I hate anything that damages books in any way. Mine almost look brand new.

Krista/Tower of Books said...

Two of my biggest pet peeves are bent spines and dog-eared corners. I also agree with the plain Jane thing. It just seems too much like a fairy tale.

Megan said...

When someone has like destroyed books. I love books in like perfect condition. I always search for the best looking books.

I do not really like popular books and you read before it was overly popular and now everyone is obsessed with it.

When a girl always complains about how her life is so imperfect and complains through a whole bunch of the book. And then in some books how they always find the perfect man.

And how vampires and witches are the characters of the moment where like half the book seem to have one. A few book are okay but after so many its boring.

Mariana S said...

That´s a really good question. I hate dog-eared corners too xD, I also hate when I lend my hardbacks and they remove the jacket and the book gets stained or something... I just dont like to lend my books.
In the plot I hate stubborn girls that and the end always complicate things, I just hate that kind of female character.

Monster of Books said...

Beauty by Robin Mckinley is a good example of the beautiful girl meeting the ugly beast *it's a beauty and the beast tale*.

Book peeves: Long descriptions, book cover is bent, and when a character is using first POV but when describing something she uses her name.

Mardel said...

I hate loaning a book out (especially a paperback) and getting it back in poor condition, cover beginning to separate from spine, warped pages, dog-eared pages. If a book is going to be ruined, it should be by me, not someone who borrowed it. In the same vein, I hate to borrow books, because I don't want to ruin someone else's book.

The other day, when I was shopping for books I found a whole row of books that had torn covers and bent pages. Why even stock them? They're ruined. they weren't even discounted. It's like the bookstore didn't care. I felt sorry for the author who wrote those books (can't remember now who it was). But it was an author that I was considering buying. I put it off, because I don't want to pay for a damaged book.

wdebo said...

Oh my I have a lot...

1) Like you, I hate it when my hands get sweating and ruin the spin (Waa the looks horrible X( )

2) When the pages are all yellow

3) When the books smell funky

4) When, for library books, they don't put the spine tape on right so there are bubbles and creases in it. (I've put spine tape on books before...I know its hard...but still it's annoying)

5) When someone gross reads the book b4 u and they make the books gross.

6) Horribly...cliche writing.

And more! But I don't want to bore you with my ranting :)