Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Short and Simple (3)

Title: Rosario + Vampire
Mangaka: Akihisa Ikeda
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Completed with 10 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 2
My Rating: 4/5

Sentence Summary: A girl genius joins the gang; the female students in the school go missing; Kurumu is threatened by naughty pictures that were secretly taken of her; and the newspaper club might be destroyed!

Speaking Straightly: I found the chapter where Sendou Yukari, the child genius, to be utterly cheesy towards the end. I wasn't so fond of this part at all.

But I loved the rest of the stories in the second volume! I was really glad Kurumu was focused upon in this volume because she is still my favourite character. I think the mangaka portrayed the monsters' human version very well and every time a new character is introduced, I like to guess their true form.

~~~

Title: Pretty Poison
Mangaka: Yutta Narukami
Age Group: Adults
Series is: Completed with 1 volume
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 4.5/5

Sentence Summary: Riyako discovers her boyfriend cheated on her and to get rid of her, he hired a younger male to take her mind off of it.

Speaking Straightly: I highly enjoyed this manga as this is a sweet one-shot about romance for those in their twenties. I am a sucker for romantic stories (though it really depends on the story itself) and I find Pretty Poison to be different than what I am used to in terms of plot.

I think it is perfect that it is a oneshot instead of a series because the mangaka wrapped it up very nicely in the end. Not very fond of the short story at the end though (which is about a woman doubting if she should marry her high school sweetheart or not).

Warning: Heavy explicit content.

~~~

Title: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 345
My Rating: 3/5

Sentence Summary: A classical tale that follows the life of a young woman in the Regency Era.

Speaking Straightly: This classic was quite difficult for me to get through because of the language. I know I would understand the story much better if I took my time to read it but I was under time pressure since it was for English class.

What was it like to read this novel quickly? Well, the plot itself was boring (no offense to fans), but there were a few times where I enjoyed a couple of chapters with the humour and attitude the characters gave each other.

I think I will attempt re-read Pride and Prejudice later on in my life to see what my perspective is on this novel then.

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading Pride and Prejudice during different ages had me change my opinion on it. My childhood read was far different from my read during my teen years, I suddenly noticed Jane Austen's witty humor more when I read it during my teen years. :D It was hard to get into at first for me too, but once I started reading and got into the flow of things, I had fun~