Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Duplikate by Cherry Cheva

Title: Duplikate
Author: Cherry Cheva
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 242
My Rating: 4.5/5

Kate Larson strives to get into Yale. She continues working hard ever since the start of high school by being in part of all the clubs, helping out other students, and excelling in her own education. Her life is practically set out for her.

However, a strange phenomenon occurs after she cleared out her computer. Her character from a virtual computer game comes to life! Rina, who looks exactly like Kate, is completely different in terms of personality. Rina who is desperate to experience life will do anything to help Kate out.

Is having a double going to be a miracle for Kate? Or a curse?

I absolutely enjoyed Cherry Cheva's last novel, She's So Money. Like the previous novel, the main character is a workoholic, trying to get into a prestigious school. The only time where I actually see characters trying to excel in their academics are in Cheva's novels. Which makes me slightly disappointed for the general YA novels because school does play a large role in teen life but are not often portrayed as supernatural hotties or depressing matters take over.

Kate is a character most teens could surely relate to. Maybe not everyone is insane as her as she loses her social life due to school, but one could understand her reasonings. I do think that at time she does take it to the extreme. I felt that she should've taken a break once in awhile just to have fun rather than have Rina replace her. With her determination to be on the top is her downfall. She learns her lesson in the end and I think that whatever happens to her afterwards, she will be satisfied with her decisions after losing so much.

I really like the concept behind this novel. What I find it is trying to say is basically balance both your school/work life and your social life. Yes, it is important to do well but when you are losing your love partner and friends in the process, it's just not that worth it.

Those who would like to see the school life side of teens should definitely check out Duplikate. Fans of She's So Money will also take a liking to this novel too! You can preview the novel here.

Review copy provided by HarperCollins Canada.

post signature

No comments: