Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Short & Simple (5)

Title: Dracula
Author: Bram Stoker
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 400
My Rating: 4/5

Sentence Summary: The original vampire classic.

Speaking Straightly: A read that grabbed my attention for sure. Many moments where I got sucked into the novel. However, the plot tends to move very slowly and characters like to talk a lot, making it a little frustrating to get through. Displays a lot of beliefs the Victorian people had.

~~~

Title: Hollywood Moon
Author: Joseph Wambaugh
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 352
My Rating: 2/5

Sentence Summary: The lives of criminals and police force in the Hollywood area.

Speaking Straightly: I tried. So hard. But I could not finish this novel. It took me months and I only managed to reach halfway before I stopped altogether. A lot to do with money-making scams, theft, sexual crimes, and so on. It pretty much had all elements that I am strongly against so I couldn't enjoy the novel at all.

Review copy provided by
Hachette Book Group.

~~~

Title: Sumomomo, Momomo
Mangaka: Shinobu Ohtaka
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Completed with 13 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 4/5

Sentence Summary: Koushi wants to live a normal life but cannot when martial artist Momoko begs to have children with him!

Speaking Straightly: Surprisingly I liked this volume more that I expected. A little outrageous in terms of plot but it keeps you going. All the characters for some reason are all drawn in different styles (in my eyes), like a bunch of artists merged together to work on one character each. Sort of like it though! Not sure if I would pick up the second volume but you can be sure to check out this one!

Won copy from
Tiamat's Manga Reviews (RIP).

post signature

2 comments:

Monster of Books said...

I've read a bit of Sumomomo, Momomo and find it enjoyable.

lol I just saw the Dracula 1992 movie tonight for the first time. Never read the book, though it comes free with my kindle. I also watched the Dracula 2000 last night.

Diana Dang said...

I never saw any of Dracula's movie I just realized. :O