Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Grand Guignol Orchestra by Kaori Yuki

Title: Grand Guignol Orchestra
Mangaka: Kaori Yuki
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Completed with 5 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 2
My Rating: 4/5

Young Celestite, disguised as her dead brother Eles, is finally part of the unofficial orchestra as their pianist. After Lucille saved her, she decided to go traveling with him and his companions to fight the zombies called Guignols.

They encounter the official grand orchestra appointed by the Queen during their journey. They arrest Lucille, taking him and the team back to the palace under the Queen's order. Lucille's dark past slowly unveils and Eles may discover his true intentions of bringing her along...

This is one of Kaori Yuki's newest series in which I absolutely loved the first volume. So I was thrilled when I received the second volume to review.

For those who are familiar with The Cain Saga/Godchild series, you will see some similarities in Grand Guignol Orchestra. Lucille has a bad family history and has this curse of death that looms over him. Even though I see some repeats from Yuki's previous series, I would still like to see what else she has to offer through her new characters. There are definitely some differences in Cain (from The Cain Saga) and Lucille. Lucille has a more upbeat personality that masks over his past whereas Cain confronts with them more frequently.

The second volume introduces new characters, most of them from Lucille's past, who would reveal more about him in the long run. The ending left off at an interesting cliffhanger and I look forward to picking up the the third volume.

I do enjoy the world they are in. There are a lot of Victorian elements, which is not surprising because of Yuki's gothic obsession. It's fun to see some different things thrown in here and there. There seems to be a lot more humor in this series compared to the other ones that I have read by the mangaka. I think she tried to lighten the mood a bit in Grand Guignol Orchestra since most of her stories are very dark.

I think the second volume is worth picking up if you have tried the first and enjoyed it.

Review copy provided by Viz.
post signature

No comments: