Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Kitty's House of Horrors by Carrie Vaughn

Title: Kitty and the House of Horrors
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 304
My Rating: 5/5

When a reality show producer approaches Kitty, a popular radio show hostess, she worries. Apparently the new show is only for supernatural beings. Of course, she had her fair share of publicity when she showed the world her werewolf side, but she isn't too keen on this proposal. That is, until she finds out a couple of her friends agreed to participate. So she decides, why not? To hang out with some old buddies and have a good time, even though being filmed constantly, doesn't sound too bad after all.

Except what is supposed to be an innocent show turned out to be a gruesome battle for survival of a bigger and darker plot for the paranormal participants. Stranded on an island miles away from home, Kitty and the others must fight back before it is too late.

This is the seventh novel of the Kitty Norville series and I'd only read the second volume aside from this one. When coming into a random novel of a series, readers generally worry that they will get lost since they have not yet read the previous books. However, it is not the case for Kitty's House of Horrors because Carrie Vaughn creates an exciting story for the audience, new or old.

Kitty's House of Horrors held my attention from beginning to end. When things started to get climactic, I held my breath most of the time, worrying for the safety of Kitty and the other characters. There is only action throughout the novel but one that is thrilling and will have you continuously flipping the page!

There is actually an Asian vampire that appears by the name of Anastasia. I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride because I rarely see any other kind of vampires other than white. It was nice to see a little diversity here and there and also all of Vaughn's characters were distinct in their own way.

If you are looking for a paranormal read without all of the mushy forbidden love stuff between two different species and that have great action, then you have to check out Kitty's House of Horrors! Except, it won't be out until January 2010!

Review copy provided by Hachette Book Group.

post signature

No comments: