Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Titus and Atreus by Meridi Myers

Title: Titus and Atreus
Author: Meridi Myers
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 323
My Rating: 4.5/5

Titus Attwater is miserable. His parents are dead and his sister is missing. Things aren't exactly dandy for him right now. But then, life suddenly changes when a man one day appears in his house to take him away to a world called Typhon. Dragged to an unknown realm, Titus finds out that everyone has a twin soul. Meaning, there is another person like you in another dimension.

Coming face to face with a prince named Atreus, who is Titus's twin soul, they must find a way to get out of a prophecy that may seal their doom.

Titus and Atreus is a splendid read that takes place in an alternate dimension where fantasy elements, like angels, exist. At first, I was a little wary of the novel. When an author creates a whole new other world, the possibilities are limitless. However, to use the power of imagination and have it tied together perfectly can get difficult because you are introducing your own realm that has not yet existed. Except the author was able to do this illustriously.

It took awhile for me to get into the novel at first. Titus at the beginning was a little too emo for my liking. When things finally picked up, I was reading the novel more frequently. The plot line is very basic, where a king from another kingdom wants to kill Atreus and take over his land. A simple good vs. evil theme. Although it's nothing overly complicated, Myers was able to construct a great story with a fluid writing and storytelling style that you can not help but love.

The ending was also done well. Except for one thing. For Titus's side of the story, I felt that it was left off at the wrong time for him. I won't spoil anything but I thought there should've been maybe one more chapter to clear up some questions I had in the back of my head regarding his character.

I highly recommend Titus and Atreus to fans of fantasy novels and portals to other worlds.

Review copy provided by Meridi Myers.

post signature

No comments: