Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Z by Michael Thomas Ford

Title: Z
Author: Michael Thomas Ford
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 288
My Rating: 4.5/5

Josh loves to play a virtual reality zombie game where he is able to kill all the zombies to his heart content without actual having to die for real. When the top player, Charlie, comes out to Josh and asks him to join an underground gaming league with a more real experience, he couldn't resist.

At first, it was all fun and games. Until he realizes that there is something much bigger and sinister about the game he is playing.

I read this novel practically in one sitting at night until morning. It definitely grabbed my attention as a zombie fan and was something different than the usual zombie apocalypse. The story is set decades after a zombie breakout, with a few technological advancements from now. It's not completely removed from today but you still recognize it as the future.

The plot is definitely gripping and is somewhat predictable but not at the same time. It keeps you reading because you want to know what happens next every time. For my part, I was hoping for a zombie breakout.

There are a variety of characters who all played some sort of crucial role, minor or not. The game was like an addicting drug that the players could not get out of. And not to mention there is actually drugs involved that kept them around. There is a twist at the climax that changes the pace of the story, making it much more interesting.

The ending was a huge disappointment though. I don't want to spoil it but let's say it doesn't turn out as you hope for. If anything, I hope there is a sequel to clean up the mess at the end of this novel.

I highly recommend Z for any zombie fans out there!

Review copy provided by HarperCollins Canada.

post signature

2 comments:

Liviania said...

As a zombie fan, I must say that this sounds awesome.

wdebo said...

Ooo sounds interesting!! Ugh. I hate it when the endings are a disappointment but it sounds awesome and I really want to read it!