Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Watching on Wednesday: Shutter Island

Title: Shutter Island
Type: Movie
Age Group: Teens +
Release Year: 2010
My Rating: 4/5

Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a U.S. Marshall who is sent to Shutter Island, a place for
the criminally insane, to search for a female patient who went missing. However, whenever he starts asking questions, it seems like everyone is hiding something from him. Determined to find out the truth, the plot thickens and throws Daniels into a cycle of hallucinations and secrets...

So I decided to pick up this movie from the library to see what the hype was all about. Starting with the characters, Teddy Daniels is a man with very short temper. Leonardo DiCaprio does a splendid job depicting his character's emotions and actions, despite the fact that I am not a fan of the protagonist himself. Also, I don't know if it is only me, but I am seeing Mark Ruffalo in pretty much every other movie I am picking up these days. He does alright, being the protagonist's friend. However, he doesn't stand out but rather aids the protagonist along. Although, his character does surprise in the end.

I have to admit, this is a gritty movie in terms of dealing with post-World War 2 and the criminally insane. I did get creeped out here and there, although it is not exactly what I would call a horror movie. More like psychological horror with the effects to give you that extra scare. Honestly, I would never watch it again but I'd say everyone should try it at least once.


post signature

1 comment:

Mariana S said...

Great Movie!! It was so interesting and intriguing!!