Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Detective Jermain by Misako Rocks!

Title: Detective Jermain
Mangaka: Misako Rocks!
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 140
# of Volumes: Second in process
My Rating: 3.5/5

Jermain has a "detective" side of her, just like her father who died during a case when she was young. It is now the last year of high school, she and her two best guy friends, Andy and Travis, now have to look forward to what they want to do after.

Then things started to get strange around the school. First, Mike, the best player in the band quit without notice. When asked about it, the music teacher snaps at Jermain. She finds them together with the chemistry teacher after school and Mike does not remember her whatsoever. Right after Jermain comes home, Mike and the teacher died in a car crash that made the news!

Everything is becoming even more suspicious when most students in the school starts to daze out like Mike did. It is up to Jermain, Travis, and Andy to find out before everyone become zombie like!

This is the third comic by Misako Rocks! and the first time I've ever heard of her. Starting with the art. I have been a manga fan for about four years and when it comes to artwork, it usually tells me how much I would like the manga itself. Of course, it does not always happen but I'm usually more than 50% correct with my predictions. I can't help but say it looks a bit amateur-like to me. I did look up on Misako Rocks! site and see that her artwork is adorable but it seemed to me that she did not put a lot of time in Detective Jermain. Andy's hair makes me very mad. Sometimes you like the art, sometimes you don't. That is what I get when I read it. Misako Rocks! did post up some sample pages of the second volume and the artwork did improve. Plotwise, I find the ending predictable. Quite actually. It's a very light read. I may look into her second release of the series.

Review copy provided by Henry Holt and Company.

post signature

No comments: