Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Title: Into the Wild
Author: Jon Krakauer
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 207
My Rating: 3/5

This book is based on a true story of a man by the name of Chris McCandless. Chris is a young man who died around the age of twenty-four years old. He was very intelligent and excelled beyond his age when he was young. He came from a well-done family from the United States, with his father working for NASA.

Chris was always a bit different than other boys. He questioned about life and loved nature. He had a rebellious personality but yet, he charmed everyone who talked to him. He had a family problem but yet he loved his younger sister, Carine, very much. He lived life filled with knowledge, yearning to learn more about what the outside world was like.

Right after Chris graduated from university, he suddenly packed up his things and left home. He embarked a journey to Alaska, a way to fulfill his life. At the end, he died of starvation. This is the story of his life until the very end.

Personally, I found the book a bit boring. I'm not the type to read biographies of others unless I am really interested. (Yet to discover if it would ever happen). I read this for English because it is mandatory and I was hoping for a better read because the teacher commented that most of the students from last year loved it. In terms of writing style, I find it quite good; though I did not like the big words and complicated language that the author uses sometimes. Though in the end, I was moved by the last couple of pages when they talked about how Chris's parents visited his death place. I found it touching. If you like to view what a life of another person is or was like, you might like this novel.

post signature

No comments: