Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Gakuen Prince by Jun Yuzuki

Title: Gakuen Prince
Mangaka: Jun Yuzuki
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Ongoing with 7 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 2
My Rating: 5/5

Now declared as a couple, plain Rise does not want to do anything with cute Azusa. But if they don't stick together, Azusa will continuously be mobbed by hormonal teenage girls!

Luckily for them, the school event Fiancailles is coming up! Portrayed like a mock wedding, two people can be announced officially as a couple. Azusa needs to convince Rise into participating because that way, they won't be harassed anymore. But Rise stubbornly refuses!

Meanwhile, the hot and brooding Akamaru is paying a lot more attention to Rise! Why is that so?

In the second volume of Gakuen Prince, fans will not be disappointed if they are coming from the first volume. Few of the characters reveal another part of themselves. For those who are fans of Akamaru, he will appear a lot more in this volume! It shows why he told Rise to stay away from Azusa and the reason is completely unexpected. I really hope he stays around in the following volumes! Munechika acts differently than his usual self when Rise gets hurt. Instead of the lecherous guy you are used to, you will see him to be more of a parental figure. And Azusa may have more of a history than what his stupid looks give, but you won't find out anything in this volume unfortunately.

The mangaka drew a couple of new and amusing faces of Rise whenever she is pissed off or so. I am always looking forward to those because Yuzuki makes those pieces quite realistic. If you try, I think you can imitate Rise's expressions. The artwork always seem a tad messy but you get used to it. I wish Yuzuki could clean up her style a bit though. They were much nicer if you look back into her older series of the early 2000s.

Overall, I am left dying for the third volume! It makes the reader wonder what will happen to the characters in the end! Especially since there is a lot of questions surrounding Azusa and Akamaru may know something. I am crossing my fingers that Akamaru will secretly have feelings for Rise. Like, I am praying to god that he does! I have to sadly wait for the following volumes to find out if anything will ever happen to the two.

Of course, this series is not exactly for everyone but if you like the idea of a twisted harem, then Gakuen Prince should definitely be looked into!

Review copy provided by Del Rey.

post signature

3 comments:

Trang said...

this manga sounds interesting :D

wdebo said...

Hm, I want to start this series!!

Diana Dang said...

Wooo, start start! :D