Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

Title: The Undomestic Goddess
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 374
My Rating: 4/5

Samantha Sweeting is a prestigious lawyer who worked very hard to be part of the famous Carter Spink firm today. With no time on hand, she runs on strict schedule day and night with zero rest. She prays to make partnership soon.

But then, she made a mistake that ruined everything, tarnishing her career forever. Frazzled, she took a train with no idea where she is heading. She ended up in front of a house and somehow got interviewed for as a housekeeper!

Now working as a housekeeper, Samantha's life has turned 180 degrees! Except can she survive so long doing domestic work, when in reality, she can't do any at all??

This was the first Sophie Kinsella book I have ever read and I have to say it wasn't that bad. I think it does some satisfying for any chick lit readers out there. However, there were parts that I was iffy with.

In the beginning, I found Samantha to be insufferable. Since she never raised a broom in her life, her knowledge of housework is zero. Maybe even negative. She had no idea how vacuums work and what the bags attached to them were. I'm pretty sure everyone at least have some understanding of items that are used to clean the house, even if they don't do it themselves. So to see this high powered lawyer knowing nothing of the simplistic things baffled me. Even a 10 year old would know better than that! Luckily though, she evolved into a more tolerable character. One you might even root for!

[SPOILERS] I have to say I have mixed feelings at the end. After given the opportunity to come back to the company and be given a full partnership, she declined it all. I could understand that working the job she had was extremely demanding and she had no time to herself. It's exhausting and just turns you into a robot. So being a housekeeper lifted off so much burden for her, so I could see why she wouldn't want to go back into her corporate lifestyle again.

But for me, I didn't like that move, as much as I supported it at the same time. As an individual, my value of money ranks pretty high (she earns a six figures salary annually). So to literally go from a lawyer to a housekeeper just didn't sit well with me. If I was in her shoes, I would've kept being a lawyer but instead, find a firm that I am able to be flexible with. One that is not so in high demand that I literally cannot sleep for three nights straight. The thing is that, you can make time for yourself if you try.

However, I respect Samantha's choice. I could understand why she wouldn't ever want to back. And with what she had made before, she could distribute her savings over the years to maintain a pleasant lifestyle. [SPOILERS END]

I don't know if I would pick up another novel from the author, but The Undomestic Goddess was a fun read nonetheless.

Won copy from Black-Eyed Susan's.
post signature

No comments: