Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Title: Suite Scarlett
Author: Maureen Johnson
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 353
My Rating: 5/5

Scarlett Martin's family runs a hotel in New York City. It may sound grand and exciting but really, it's not.

After her fifteenth birthday, Scarlett's summer is no longer boring. The Empire Suite is now hers to look over because it is a tradition for every Martin to take care of a suite in the hotel once they are fifteen. She also has a guest by the name of Mrs. Amberson, who always make things oh so interesting.

Thrown into random and hilarious situations, Scarlett must find a way to survive her eventful summer that is full of drama and possible love.

The first book I've read by Maureen Johnson was 13 Little Blue Envelopes, which also includes the theme of drama and arts. Compared to 13 Little Blue Envelopes that is more of a mellow read, Suite Scarlett has a lot of spark and flare.

I love Scarlett's voice and her family. They are all so fun and have such interesting lives. Also, this is one of the few stories out there where the protagonist has a proper family instead of being in a complex problem where their parents are divorced or missing or so on. Scarlett's interactions with her siblings is a great touch because it made the novel more "personalized", making Suite Scarlett what it is.

Scarlett also meets this cute and cool guy named Eric who she develops a crush for. However, he is heading to college and she's only fifteen. The end result of their relationship wasn't exactly the most typical but I found was the most realistic.

The things Mrs. Amberson makes Scarlett go through are gold! I wish I could have someone that could come into my life and make it as entertaining. I really wonder how Johnson comes up with such simple but unique ideas that make her stories so compelling!

Suite Scarlett is a read for those who would like a little more sunshine in their day and make them realize the greatest things out there are in the littlest of things.

Won copy from The Electrical book cafe....and more!/Harmony Book Reviews.

post signature

2 comments:

Monster of Books said...

Currently on my TBR list, but I have read a few chapters and loving it. Awesome review!!

Krista/Tower of Books said...

I have a copy of this book, but I still haven't gotten to it. I've only heard good things though!