Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Title: 13 Little Blue Envelopes
Author: Maureen Johnson
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 320
My Rating: 4/5

Life is usually depressing after someone you know and love passed away. Virginia (Ginny) Blackstone is as shocked as anyone when she found out her runaway Aunt Peg died of a brain tumor without notice. Before her death, she planned a little game for Ginny to play. "Little" is the wrong word, so let's use "worldly" instead.

Ginny received a bundle of mail, thirteen to be exact, from Aunt Peg. Each one is numbered from one to thirteen with adorable designs that her artistic aunt drew on all. Starting from the first letter, Ginny is given $1000 so she can buy herself a passport, a one-way plane ticket to good ol' London, and things she can backpack for her trip. After completing each task a letter has given, Ginny would be allowed to open the next one. Of course she could have opened them all at once but then what fun would it be when this was her crazy aunt's last dying wish? Soon enough, Ginny was all over Europe! What is the message Aunt Peg trying to tell her by going on all of these crazy adventures?

This book takes on a very interesting way on perceiving someone's death wish. I mean heck, who in the world let their daughter travel halfway around the world from America to Europe for no reason?? Well, of course there is a reason here but this kind of reason would make my parents go haywire if I actually took it seriously like Ginny did. (I likely would have just save the money and opened all the letters like a normal person...) It makes you wish you were in her position, minus all of the crazy, unpleasant things that happened to her. But without it, it wouldn't make much of a story would it? What slightly got under my nerves in the beginning is that Ginny seems so distant because the story is written in third person. It lasted for awhile but eventually her emotions are more out there for the readers to see as the story continues. I was really eager for the ending because I was waiting for something big. It did not turn out as big as I thought it would be (though it definitely was if you were in Ginny's position) but it is a good read nonetheless. Not a very fancy novel but indeed I find it with a cutesy touch and that is what I like.

post signature

5 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Nice review!
I haven't read this,but I really want too.
Suite Scarlett by maureen is awesome though. :)

I like most books in first person b/c it does help to get their perspective and emotions.

-Lauren

Diana Dang said...

Ooh, I'll check out Suite Scarlett when I have time. =) Simply too many books coming my way to have time! @@

Keri Mikulski said...

Love this one. The kind of book that sticks in my head for a while. :) Great review.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Diana: Oh, i know what you mean. I have so many to read NOW and then i have HUGE "must get this soon" list going on. haha
it's awful...but books are just too addictive!!!

-lauren

Diana Dang said...

@Keri: Thank you!

@Lauren: I accept more books than I can read! My parents would start questioning me when I can't fit my books on my shelves no more!