Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, March 12, 2010

The Amanda Project: Invisible I by Stella Lennon

Title: The Amanda Project
Author: Stella Lennon
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 352
My Rating: 4.5/5

Amanda Valentino is a very strange yet colourful girl. Callie is secretly friends with her and enjoys her company as they talk about the stars at night and the different meanings of animal tattoos. Since Callie is one of the I-Girls, she pretends she barely know Amanda during school.

Callie is surprised when her principal assumes that she and two outcasts have something to do with his vandalized car. Apparently Amanda drew all over the principal's car, leaving behind some indication towards Callie and the others. Now in trouble, the three non-friends must figure out why Amanda would do such a thing. But the problem is, she disappeared!

I found this novel very enjoyable! Callie is a popular girl who can not ignore the fact that she is drawn to Amanda as a friend. Although she hangs out with the I-Girls which are on top of the school's social ladder, Amanda provides her fun and comfort with her philosophical views and interesting personality. It was a shocker to Callie when she found out that Amanda also spread herself around with others because she never thought the girl would have friends aside herself, seeing the way she was at school. As she search for the missing Amanda, she slowly bonds with Hal and Nia, the other two "offenders".

As I read, I saw more of Callie's history, showing that she was not just any other clone. It gave her more depth and more reason to search for Amanda who has helped her through hard times. What is best about this story is the mystery factor behind it. The big question is pretty much, "Where is Amanda Valentino?" Like fun and games, she leaves behind different clues for her friends to figure out. Readers could see drawings and other stuff in the book that makes the novel more appealing.

The Amanda Project is the first interactive teen series where readers are able to participate and determine the story of future novels through games and writing. I really do wonder how it would work out because it is an eight-novel series. I wouldn't mind three or possibly four novels in the series, but the idea of eight scares me from reading on. Either way, I found The Amanda Project: Invisible I to be a fun novel. Not many have liked it but you can try it out and see where your opinion lies.

Visit www.theamandaproject.com for games and interactive writing and click here if you want to read the entire novel online.

Review copy provided by
HarperCollins.

post signature

4 comments:

Donna (Bites) said...

I'm glad you liked this one! I personally loved it. The story was awesome and I'm looking forward to the other books. I'm intrigued to see what they're going to do with it to span it over 8 books.

Alyssa Kirk said...

Haven't heard of this one but it looks great. Now that I understand it, the title is extremely clever!

Miriam said...

This book is on my wishlist and I can't what to read it - you've just strengthened my resolve to get my hands on it (legally of course, haha). It sounds fun and interesting, though 8 books scares me because I'll be a lot older by then!

Krista/Tower of Books said...

I didn't like this one as much I would have liked, but regardless, I think the series has an interesting format.