If you would like to learn more about the author or Never After, check out at www.danelconin.com.
Out of all fairy tales to retell, why Peter Pan?
- The notion of a weird little boy breaking into kids’ rooms and luring them away has always struck me as really creepy. I wanted to explore that creepiness. Also, JM Barrie’s original novel is hilarious as well as dark, and I liked that contrast so much I wanted to recreate it.
How long did you work on Never After?
- About five years. Way too long. Stephen King could have written dozens of books in that amount of time.
If trapped on an island (considering you can survive off the food and creatures that exist there and find or create your own shelter), what one item is a must have for you?
- A computer, so I can write. Or perhaps an assault rifle, since “deserted” islands always seem to be inhabited by various things that want to kill you.
What is your favourite retelling, be it film or book?
- Probably CASINO ROYALE, the 2006 James Bond film.
What kind of stories or genres do you still want to try writing?
- Right now I can’t say I have any desire to go outside the teen genre. I’d love to try my hand at screenwriting though.
Do you have any novels you are working on at the moment or will be releasing soon? If so, can you please give us a brief summary about them?
- I am working on another novel (and trying my best to finish it in less than five years!). The working title is AFAX and it’s inspired in large part by ENDER’S GAME by Orson Scott Card, one of my favorite books. That’s about all I can say at the moment. =)
Lastly, give us an interesting fact about yourself that not many people know of!
- I like to juggle a soccer ball on my feet when I’m bored, and my current record is 2,429. (I was really bored.)