Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

St.♥Dragon Girl by Natsumi Matsumoto

Title: St.♥Dragon Girl
Mangaka: Natsumi Matsumoto
Age Group: Teens
Series is: Completed with 8 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1-2
My Rating: 2/5

As a martial artist, Momoka uses her fighting abilities to exorcise demons along with Ryuga, who is a Chinese sorcerer and childhood friend.

In attempt of defeating a powerful demon, Ryuga summons a dragon to take over his body. But Momoka accidentally gets in the way and have her body possessed instead! Now she is stuck with the dragon and only Ryuga can seal or unleash him!

As the duo vanquish demons practically every week, it is no surprise that their relationship might just step beyond the boundaries of friends!

Bah, this is one of those shojo mangas that I couldn't really care less for. I simply couldn't get into the mangaka's art style nor story. The art is pretty similar to other shojo series you see around, such as those by Natsumi Ando (Kitchen Princess) and Michiyo Kikuta (Mamotte! Lollipop), which I am getting extremely tired of. I shouldn't judge but most of the time, manga with this style tends to be mediocre or worse in my eyes.

So what to pretty much expect from the first two volumes: demon fighting and lovey-dovey-ness between Momoka and Ryuga. Oh, and plenty of panda obsession through Momoka. Did the plot get better in the second volume? Not exactly. I pretty much skimmed it and the series is more divided up into short stories rather than having one main problem to evolve around.

If I was to recommend this series to anyone, tween girls will most enjoy it. For the rest of the manga readers out there, it is one to skip over.

post signature

2 comments:

Monster of Books said...

I actually really enjoyed manga. I'm sorry you didn't feel the same way. But I understand your POV, I know mangas where I feel the same way.

Diana Dang said...

Lol, that's good to hear you liked it. It just felt the same to me so I couldn't bring myself to enjoy it.