Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Dancing in Red Shoes Will Kill You by Dorian Cirrone

Title: Dancing in Red Shoes Will Kill You
Author: Dorian Cirrone
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 213
My Rating: 2/5

Kayla Callaway goes to a special arts school as a passionate ballet student. An audition for playing Cinderella parts are coming up for the school dance and she can't wait! It is for her time to shine! The audition came and went and she knows that she nailed it. The lead role is going to be given her for sure!

The list is finally put up and what does she see? She got the ugly stepsister role! How could she?? Her dance teacher pulled her aside and told her that she couldn't play the part because of her big breasts. What in the world??

Apparently Cinderella has to be thin and delicate. The lead role player should have the elegant feel, not have two huge sacs like chest bouncing up and down while dancing. In the traditional world, it will not do.

During the time period, a pair of red spray painted pointe shoes is hung outside in the school's hallway with a note, 'Dancing in red shoes will kill you'. Is this a death threat? Apparently Kayla's role might have to wear a pair of red pointe shoes!

Eeeehh, I don't like this book. It's okay but I have to group it with Twilight. The story doesn't have any... "meat". I would put it down but since I start doing reviews now, I force myself to continue to see if it gets better. It doesn't really. Kayla is very plain. I like my characters to have more varieties in personalities. If I was to write, my style would be similar... Which is NOT good.

post signature

No comments: