Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

I · O · N by Arina Tanemura

Title: I · O · N
Mangaka: Arina Tanemura
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 1
My Rating: 3/5

Ion Tsuburagi is a happy, carefree girl that loves to help others. As a habit, she always chant her name for good luck. When she is running away from Kouki Shiraishi, the class president who is madly in love with her, she ran into Mikado Horai. He is the president of the Psychic Powers Research Society, one of the clubs at the school. He spoke to her that it is his dream to research indepth on psychic powers. Mikado is trying to recreate a psychic substance that a professor was researching on from many years ago.

After Mikado showed the research lab to Ion, she touches the substance when he went back to class because the door was unlocked. Her body suddenly felt a huge wave of electricity passing by. Scared, she unconciously chants her name and then the next thing she knew she was flying above the research room! The research room is then on fire because there was some gunpowder that was inside and the electricity sparked it. Ion with her new powers, immediately took the water from the school's pool to eliminate the fire.

Mikado thinks that the substance disappeared in the fire when Ion actually has it and asks her to help him in his research because of her abilities. Later on, Ion feelings for him grew and Mikado may have too. But is he only admiring her powers or does he actually sees her as a girl?

Eh, to be honest I don't enjoy the book so much. The thing is that everyone in the school finds out that she has psychic powers and are not fazed by it at all! They go on like it's any other regular day. I would expect there to be some sort of villain that wants to use to powers but there is nothing of the sort in the manga. Since it is a oneshot, I didn't get much out of it. I guess if you are a fan of the mangaka's works, you may like it. This is her debut manga and has written many other ones that are quite popular like Full Moon. This is the first manga I've read by her and only picked it up because it is one of the new mangas my library bought.

post signature

No comments: