Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, October 17, 2008

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolo Guo

Title: A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers
Author: Xiaolo Guo
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 283
My Rating: 3.5/5

Zhuang (Z for short) Xiao Qiao is a twenty-three years old Chinese woman who recently came to London to study English. In the beginning, she had much difficulty with the English language and nonetheless was not very familiar with the foreign country. One peaceful day, she went to the movies and met an Englishman who she fell in love with at first sight. Misunderstood his words when he let her come see his house, she eventually moves in. With his personality, he did not mind at all. As time passes, Z's feelings begin to grow, wanting him more each day. But how would their relationship turn out when their personalities are completely the opposite?

Z is quite an interesting character. In the beginning, she could barely string proper sentences (but enough that one could understand) but later on, her English got better and the way she view things is very controversial to many. People can relate to her and her lover because of their contrasting viewpoints in life. Z grew within time, learning things she would never knew if she stayed in China. A pretty good read, especially for the older audiences. Warning: Lots of sex.

Review copy provided by Book Divas.

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an interesting book.

Nice blog, btw.

Diana Dang said...

Thank you! =D And thanks for the visit!