Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Title: The Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: 394
My Rating: 4.5/5

Life in Afghanistan for the people in the 1970s were not so great. It was like most poor countries at the time. The country was divided into two group of people, the Pashtuns and the Hazaras. The Hazaras were considered the lower status group, always looked down by the Pashtuns.

For young Amir though, he is a son of a very wealthy Pashtun merchant, his life was dainty and was always been brought to the brighter side of things. He is always sheltered and had a very loyal Hazara servant named Hassan.

Hassan is extremely loyal to an extent that he let himself be physically and emotional traumatized so he didn't have to give up Amir's kite for a local bully. Amir watched this happening secretly that he was so scared and turned off to run, leaving Hassan in the worse position possible.

Many years later after Amir's life became complicated and he is well settled in America, his father's friend calls him back for some unfinished matter, dealing with Hassan. Would Amir be able to stand in front of someone he left cowardly many years ago for protecting his pride?

This book is one of the most compelling, tragic, heart-quenching book dealing with relationships and problems among love ones possible. An amazing read, great for those who like to read things with deeper meanings. I usually don't read this kind of stuff, but indeed there are times that hook you on completely. I am reading this for school so some of the classmates are totally into it, would give it a 5/5 right on the spot. Me liking it would be a 4 rating but since everything is so vivid with possibilities like that in real life (not to mention the story extracts true facts of world history), completely boosted up everything. Recommended for all readers (except the young ones of course).

post signature


No comments: