Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Romeo's Ex: Rosaline's Story by Lisa Fiedler

Title: Romeo's Ex: Rosaline's Story
Author: Lisa Fiedler
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 246
My Rating: 4/5

Surely everyone that went to high school was dragged into reading Romeo & Juliet at one point in their life. Everyone knows that the young, vain lovers hooked up the first day, married the next, and died together afterwords. But what happened to the others while we were following the couple's version of the story?

Rosaline is a young Capulet around sixteen years of age. She wants to go into the path of a healer and help people. She works and learns by a local healer to obtain new skills each day. One day, Romeo came in with an injured friend to where the healer's place was but she was out. Instead, Rosaline took care of the boy and immediately lovesick Romeo has fallen for her beauty. Continuously following her everywhere, this girl who believes in pure chastity is absolutely fed up with him. No matter, he soon fell in love with her cousin, Juliet, at the Capulet's ball. And Rosaline begins to develop feelings for Benvolio, Romeo's cousin. Looking through the lens of a character that not once appeared in the original story, what is her story like?

I got to say I did not regret picking this up. It brings more of a youthful approach on Shakespeare and much easier to understand. The author skillfully entangled all of the characters together, giving reasons why certain things turned out to be in the original play. The story is told in different characters' perspectives but you get to understand their personalities more instead of just being people around Romeo and Juliet. The only difference is that one character that supposedly died managed to survive and the ending was with a twist. I definitely recommend it! Though I always prefer to read the original first before going into another version of it. It is a great read, even if you don't know a thing of Shakespeare!

post signature

4 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Oh, this does sound good. Thanks for letting me know about the review. I'll have to save this one and see if I can read it at some point in the near future. I have read Romeo and Juliet, so it should be a very interesting story!!!

-Lauren

Liviania said...

Sounds cool, although I always hold things to high standards that play with stories I like.

Woot for four years in fandom! Next year will be a decade for me - I'll have to celebrate somehow.

I still liked Death Note at the end, even though the author couldn't really keep up the level of scheming. Near's constant playing with toys reminded me of myself, I guess.

So, any good starter titles you think I missed? (I myself began with the old Chix Comics Tokyopop imprint . . . Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura.)

Diana Dang said...

@Lauren: Haha, you're welcome! =)

@Liv: I got irritated with the long speech bubbles. With manga, I like it easy and quick to read. That is what makes it a manga for me. But the fact that the characters explain the most longest conclusion ever, I got mad.

I suggest MeruPuri! I suggest that manga to all! =D The first volume is slow so you have to read all four of them!

Liviania said...

Well, one of my faves is Excel Saga, which is practically text with a little bit of art.

Oh, MeruPuri. I like that one except for when I think too hard about the fact Aram is actually a little kid.