Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sex Kittens and Horn Dawgs Fall in Love by Maryrose Wood

Title: Sex Kittens and Horn Dawgs Fall in Love
Author: Maryrose Wood
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 243
My Rating: 2.5/5

Felicia and her best pals call themselves the Sex Kittens. Oh no, it is not what you think. They are talented fourteen years old girls stuck in the Pound (a.k.a. school) and Felicia has her eyes on one hot Dawg by the name of Matthew Dwyer. He is a science geek who could often be found in the lab room doing experiments with adorable bunnies! And this Kitten is head over heels for him!

The science fair is coming up and Felicia partnered up with Matthew. So what is it going to be on? On the Secret of X (or in common people language: LOVE) of course! These two shall test and hypothesize on how you make the one you love fall back in love with you. Will Felicia have the X factor to attract her lovely Dawg?

Ah, this got to be the first book for me where I found the writing language a bit... corny. No offense to Maryrose! I love her other books for sure! (Though I didn't get to read the Musical one yet... So I pretty much just loved the Morgan series.) In the beginning, it took awhile before I got used to Felicia's slang. Referring to her friends as Kittens and the opposite sex Dawgs does make you a bit mad not to mention a hundred other made up words were used. It gets a bit better in the middle, you don't agonize over the language as much but it definitely sticks until the end (which is something you wished that disappear by magic and normal English kicks in but doesn't). There were many praises for it so I was eager to read it but once that slang started from the second page, it took me more than a week to finish it (managed to finish a book I started reading afterwards during the time). Crossing my fingers her next book won't be a disappointment!

post signature

4 comments:

Liviania said...

I like the Morgan books so I'm looking forward to picking this one up someday . . . I actually tend to like made-up slang, so maybe it won't bother me.

As for CLAMP, I think xxxHolic or X/1999 is my favorite. Of course, Deimyts utterly hates X and thinks Keedledee and I are insane. ^_^ (We haven't give him Chobits to read. It's an awkward thing to rec to a male friend.)

Chi and Freya are the most adorable things ever. I love it when people cosplay as them. Okay, and the things from "City with No People." I sleep with a giant plush of one. ^_^

So you don't remember why you didn't like the end? I was just happy they ended up together because I thought Hideki and Chi were doomed (it is CLAMP).

Overall, I like CLAMP but they really frustrate me. I think it's just because I'm a total romantic and they always focus on some form of love, the pretty art, and I have a thing for insane, crack-tastic plots. (Kaori Yuki is my favorite manga-ka.)

Liviania said...

In either late June or early July I did post a manga review. Since then I haven't read any that I felt would make good posts. (For one thing, I haven't started any series recently. It's a bit awkward to avoid spoilers when you're discussing vol. 12.) Although I did just read WANTED a week ago and it was pretty cute.

Well, the sad part of the end is Chi and Hideki can never have sex. Of course, when I read it in junior high that seemed like much less of a big deal. When I saw the anime in high school I wondered how poor Hideki would make it.

I haven't bought all of Count Cain (refuse to call it Godchild) or Angel Sanctuary yet, but I've read all of both of them. I've also read all of Fairy Cube but need to buy it. SO AWESOME. Also, how many times does Kato die in AS? I lost track after 3 in the first four volumes. (Or was it 4 in the first three?)

I couldn't give up manga or regular novels. I love both and love encouraging people to read both.

Liviania said...

I read too much to do that. During summer I read at least ten books a week. During the school year I read less, but it would still be hard to review everything I read.

Wanted disappointed you? I thought it was a cute little read, but I do love pirates. Also, I liked the guy with the cowboy hat and hakama at the end. I definitely don't like Vampire Knight as much as MeruPuri. The backgrounds aren't as cool and the story moves slowly.

READ ANGEL SANCTUARY. It is the best. Really really. At least, if you can get past the incest.

Liviania said...

I go to Borders once a week and read five or six manga during the summer. I don't mind reading there because I spend about $200 in the store each year - alleviates my guilt. Also, when you read in their cushy chairs they bring you cookies and javakula samples. I love my Borders staff.

What didn't you like about the plot? I loved the sidebar of the first part which was basically, "Both of the reveals are obvious, but that's not the important part."

Plain! That's exactly what annoys me about Vampire Knight. I just don't like that series. I mean, I still read it, but it just doesn't do much for me. (Do you get Shojo Beat? I love Crimson Hero.)

I've only read a couple of manhwa. :( Congrats on buying a new one! AS is only 20 volumes. I've read far longer.