Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

COMIC by Ha SiHyun

Title: COMIC
Mangaka: Ha SiHyun
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 8
My Rating: 3.5/5

Alice Song loves to draw. She likes comics and draw some of her own in her spare time. Her friend secretly submitted one of her comics into a contest ran by Cake's Magazine and she won third place! Alice is quite surprised and excited. As the youngest winner ever in Cake's Magazine, it adds more excitement for this high-schooler's new opportunity!

The very first day she visited the company, she was dragged to her manhwa idol's home by the editor, Mr. Kang, (who was once a student teacher at Alice's school and whom she admires very much), because the artist was late with submitting his work. Expecting the manhwa artist to be an awesome guy like Mr. Kang, Alice was surprised that Patrick "Saturn" Kang is a guy her age who is a complete jerk! Alice was left behind to help Saturn finish his remaining panels and realize of how much she hated him. What made things worse was the next day that she discovered he was in their neighbouring school!

Could Alice ever get along with such a guy? Especially now they are somewhat like "co-workers"?

I just picked up this manhwa today because the cover looked promising and I was desperate to get something at the anime store without walking out empty-handed like always. It was not so interesting as I hoped it would be. I like it but I'm not sure if I would be purchasing the second volume. It is very generic and I like generic depending on how well the mangaka displays it; this one seems like something anyone can throw together. Maybe it'll get better, who knows?

What I didn't like was the appearance of Patrick. He's cute alright but he looks like the character Paine from Faeries' Landing by You Hyun! What made it more of a mock is that a couple of pages from Faeries' Landing is shown in COMIC! It is like screaming, "I stole this character!", which is not impressive in any way when you want your story to stand out. (By the way, Faeries' Landing is adorable!! You guys should check it out even though I have no idea how long it is...)

post signature

1 comment:

Liviania said...

The cover doesn't look that great to me so I'll prolly skip it. $200 of stuff isn't that much . . . maybe two books a month? Although I buy a lot on sale, with coupons, and other discounts.

Yep, they give me cookies and coffee. You need a bookstore with a cafe in it.

Shojo Beat's okay but I don't like the current series in it as much as the originals. Hmm, I like teamwork stories. I definitely enjoy a romance, but I'm not a super romantic person myself so I like plots outside of the romance. (For some reason I'm still a go-to person to ask for romantic advice. ???)

A long series done well is fab, done wrong it drives me nuts. Rumiko Takahashi goes back and forth in managing it well. I love Ranma 1/2. (Which I would totally put in my primer except for the whole Gender Bender that I know messes some people up.) Naruto's a good long series. I'm just always afraid to make the committment to a long series.