Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Jenny Green's Killer Junior Year by Amy Belasen & Jacob Osborn

Title: Jenny Green's Killer Junior Year
Author: Amy Belasen & Jacob Osborn
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: 284
My Rating: 3.5/5

Jenny Green is a pretty face Jewish girl who has just moved to Montreal from the U.S. She wants to start her whole life anew as a junior at the Molson Academy. She couldn't wait to see Josh Beck, a guy that once went to her school and now is at the academy. She solely chose this school because of him. How could she resist? He is hot!

Then Jenny realizes how dangerous the opposite sex could be. This brought out her dark side. For those who cheat, lie, and criminal themselves better watch out, this Jewish American Princess will get you - she will get you good as dead.

As the front cover and title implies, yes, the main character is a killer teen. And let's just say she kills quite a few people. Not to mention there are a lot of sex involved (though the actual description of the scenes are quite vague).

There is one thing that bothered me the most in the very beginning. And that is how the story displays Canada. Maybe it is my Canadian pride coming to surface but I was really offended. The book goes on how the people at the school are drug-addicted hippies and that we have some sort of annoying accent. Personally, I think the American and Canadian "accents" are exactly the same. Just the attitude from Jenny with her cultural shock repelled me greatly at first. If I didn't have to read it for a review, I would have thrown it down right away. Later on, it is not so bad when it focuses more on Jenny killings. There is one part near the end the disgusted me but I shall not spoil it for you. I like the side character name Edgar. He is this extremely cute and nerdy guy who helped Jenny cheat her tests and hack into the computer. Nothing happened between them, which I am glad. Also when I first got it, the cover and back annoyed me quite a bit. It grew to me afterwords so I fine it quite cute now. It would be nicer if the model is a bit thinner. Overall, it is not a bad read but I am sure there are going to be people that will be offended if they pick it up. It could be the sex, the killing, how Canada is viewed, or etc. but there would be a few of controversial topics that shows up.

Review copy provided by
Simon & Schuster, Inc.

post signature

5 comments:

wdebo said...

Yeah! An Edgar fan! He's my favorite too! He's so funny, when he first meets Jenny :)

Wdebo

Andy said...

The Canadian and American accents are not the same. Especially if you're talking about Montreal. In any case, both Canada and the US have a wide variety of accents some of which are very similar or even the same. But certainly not Quebec.

Diana Dang said...

@Andy: It wasn't the Montreal accent that the character spoke of. Of course if you take in consideration of people backgrounds and such, there would be accents of course. But from what I see it (reading it in my perspective) is that the character spoke of the accent of the people that are born in Canada. From I see it, there really isn't an accent between American and Canadians. (Asides the people from the bilingual parts of the world).

Andy said...

But the Maritimes have a variety of unique accents, and so do people from the Southern States and New York City, and countless other places. It is undeniable that there is a wide variety of accents and dialects in North America.

Diana Dang said...

That's true because Canada is a diverse country. But in the book, the way they worded how the character have a Canadian accent seemed a bit insulting (in my eyes). Then again, I never traveled to any other provinces in Canada so I am a bit oblivious to the accents (asides those from Montreal).