Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wolverine: Prodigal Son by Antony Johnston & Wilson Tortosa

Title: Wolverine: Prodigal Son
Comic Artist:
Antony Johnston (Story) & Wilson Tortosa (Art)
Age Group:
Teens
# of Pages: 186
# of Volumes:
2
My Rating:
4/5

Logan is a formidable student at Quiet Earth, a martial arts school in a desolated part of Canada. He has a hot temper and wants to be the winner in every fight. He is raised by his teacher, Mr. Elliot, ever since he was left outside near death in front of the school at a young age. Nicknamed the "Wolverine" by his classmates, he has a secret ability to emerge claws from his knuckles.


Logan is given a challenge and completes it, winning himself a trip to New York with his teacher. But he gets more than he bargains for. The past he never remembered will be soon revealed and is one that will endanger him and those around him. Why is he being chased by people with mutant abilities like his and who is he really?

I am not a Marvel fan so to have received the manga version of Wolverine, I was not sure what to expect. To say, I was pleasantly surprised.

The transition of the scenes went by smoothly, unlike plain American comics. The art itself would be considered manga-ish but with a CAPCOM twist. The facial expressions were done quite well too. The storyline was enthralling in its own action-packed way and I loved the character designs. Logan and the villains were quite interesting, making me wanted to learn more about them. You do not need to know what happened to Wolverine in Marvel to understand this story because they are completely different. I am definitely looking forward to the second volume.
Recommended to shonen (manga geared towards males) fans who enjoys Marvel also.

Review copy provided by
Del Rey.

post signature

2 comments: