Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

In My Mailbox - XXV

To do your own In My Mailbox, please check out how to at The Story Siren!

The Borrowed

None

The Bought


Kurohime vol. 6, 10 by Katakura Masanori
Red Angel vol. 2 by Makoto Tateno
The Art of Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play by Yuu Watase


Original Cloud Headshot ($5!!!!)
Kakashi Print ($6)
Artist's Original Character Mini Print ($0.25!!!)
Naked Neji Bookmark ($0.50!!!)
Kuroshitsuji Poster ($12)


Original Sheep Version of Me! ($1!!!!)


Love-Squared.com Large T-Shirt and Mouse Pad (FREE!)


Different Business Cards by Different Artists (FREE, duh!)

The Received


20 Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
Yokai Doctor vol. 1 by Yuki Sato

Hell yes I went to Anime North yesterday! I know I usually do In My Mailbox only for only books and maybe DVDs that need to be reviewed but honestly, how can I resist not showing off my stash?

All four books in the first picture were ONLY $5 each! I was flipping with joy! Actually, there were hundreds of different manga series for only $5 each volume but I no longer waste my money on old (and likely bad) mangas like I used to just to increase my collection. My original goal was to get all of Kurohime that is out in North America so far except for the eighth volume, which I already have. I calculated and planned to strike a bargain with a dealer of $50 for 10 volumes. After I managed to luckily find the sixth and tenth volume in a $5 each deal, I decided I will try to find similar deals like that next year. Believe me, I was running around the centre trying to find other $5 Kurohime volumes for a couple of hours. Sadly the rest were only at US cover price (I like to find a deal on top of the US cover price or better). Now that I think of it, there was another dealer where I could've gotten another three volumes of Kurohime for good price but I didn't have a calculator with me to check (Yes, can you believe how frikkin cheap I am?). I will seriously worship anyone who gets me the rest of Kurohime, that series it made for me. That and Ouran High School Host Club are the only two series I am truly following. Gawd, I hope my future boyfriend can handle my manga obsession.

I honestly brought with me well of $300 and yet I still manage to spend under $100 at an anime convention (and that includes the $40 entrance fee!)! My cousin kept telling me to buy more things but I refused. I was even reluctant to buy the Kakashi print and Kuroshitsuji poster! I kept telling her to stop pressuring me but now I wished she continued to egg me on... (I'm sorry Vian! Please continue to bother me if we go next year together to buy more things if I continue to be cheap!) There were so many GORGEOUS prints and posters but I was freaking out that my mom would kill me. (Surprisingly, she didn't. Then again I avoided telling her what I bought). Oh, but don't you just love the chibi version of me in a sheep suit? It's so cute! I forgot I had it so I didn't combine to the second image until I already had the poster and prints up in my room.

Whenever I go to conventions, I would collect the business cards of artists who were selling there. Their cards are simply so pretty and who knows, I might commission them one day! There was also this online dating site for anime fans. The people who were trying to jump start it were handing out free t-shirts if you signed up. I'm addicted to free things so I couldn't resist. The next thing I knew I was signed up on an online dating site... Ah well, we'll see how that goes haha.

But I know I will definitely go back to Anime North next year. I had withdrawal symptoms when I skipped out last year and it was like a drug because I kept feeling so bad about it... (It lasted for a week or so).

And what I truly got in my mailbox this week was pretty satisfying. I will have the review up for Yokai Doctor on Wednesday or so because I have another manga review scheduled for tomorrow (if I manage to finish writing it on time that is). Hopefully I will get to 20 Boy Summer soon but I have quite a bit I need to still get through. And oh joy, I just found out I need to return Little Brother by Cory Doctorow next Saturday which I still haven't started. Ack!

Anyway, sorry for the long post today. I never write about personal things on individual posts so I tend to tack everything in In My Mailbox. Peace out!

CONTEST ALERT: I am hosting a 5 copies giveaway of the fabulous novel, Hollywood Car Wash. Click here or scroll down to enter! Ends June 1/09!

post signature

11 comments:

Liyana said...

Cute haul! I loved the sheep version. xD

Diana Dang said...

Haha thank you!

Nancy said...

Ohhh oh you had a good week. I loved the Poster that you bought. Just gorgeous. What do you plan on doing with it? Do you keep them in a safe place or post them on your walls?

Diana Dang said...

Thank you! =D I wanted a larger version but the artist is only selling it today for $35. I am already cheap enough so there was no way I could splurge like that. (I'm not going to the con today anyway so I wouldn't be able to)

I posted it on my wall above my manga collection last night. x) I haven't read nor watched the anime yet tho, haha. Hopefully I will do that soon but I doubt I will have the time.

Carrie said...

Love the poster!!

Diana Dang said...

I do too! =D When I saw it from afar (the larger version), I was all, "I want that."

Rebecca said...

Awesome books and other bits and pieces you got this week, they look really good. Enjoy.

Thao said...

What a great week. I love the sheep, it's simply cute!

Diana Dang said...

Thanks! x3

Liviania said...

Eek, my comment didn't post!

Anyway, I'm jealous of your Kuroshitsuji poster since I love Kuroshitsuji. But I'll be at A-kon this weekend so I'll pick up some stuff for myself.

And sheep you is so cute!

Diana Dang said...

I have never watched nor read Kuroshitsuji yet. @@ Have to get around it sometimes! ><

And thank you! <3